Friday, May 15, 2009

1,000 Twitter followers!

That's right... I just passed the 1,000-follower mark on Twitter! There are at least 1,000 people that care about everything that I'm doing with my life!

Am I friends with all of these people? No.

Have I even met all of these people? No.

Is that weird to me? Well...

Okay, so here's the story. I heard about this site called MyTweetFollowers.com, that allegedly would help me get new Twitter followers. And, for a VIP price ($4/day for 5 days, or $3/day for 10 days), I could get at least 200 new Twitter followers every day.

So, I decided to try this thing out. I put up $30, and waited to see the followers roll in. For the first couple of hours, it was pretty slow. Then, the followers started rolling in. This was Saturday night, about 5 days ago.

Now, it's Thursday night/very early Friday morning, and I've already passed the 1,000-follower mark. As a matter of fact, at the time that I'm writing this, I have 1,182 followers.

On a side note, however... remember how I said earlier that I wasn't friends with all of my followers? Well, apparently, Twitter refers to the people that I follow as my "friends." Really. It says it right there in the link: http://twitter.com/friends. But how exactly do you define what a friend is? The common conception of friendship is that... well, never mind. That's a deeper, more philosophical matter for another time.

When looking at my Twitter homepage now, the majority of the updates that I get are of people that I didn't even know existed until they started following me on Twitter. But, for some odd reason, I still find their daily updates interesting.

Maybe I'm just too nosy.

One thing I have found, though, is that a lot of the updates I've seen have helped me in my everyday life. For example, one friend of mine said to me (sorry... "@me") earlier in one of her updates, "Make it a great day!!" It might not look like much, but to me, it meant a lot. I usually tell people to "have" a great day, but "making" it a great day is completely different. It shows me that I'm in control of my own happiness on a daily basis.

Little things like that make me enjoy having all of my newfound friends on Twitter. Because it enhances my own life. Sure, some people might think it's too impersonal. But I guess I'm just one of those people that likes to converse with people. All people. Just because I've never met them in person, why shouldn't I feel comfortable knowing a little bit about them, as well as giving them a little bit of insight into my own life?

I'm not giving them all the details of my life story, and it's not like I'm giving them my home address and telling them when I'm leaving the house unattended. I'm just updating them on some things I do that anybody would do (e.g. going to the mall, watching the basketball game, studying for an exam), and adding a little bit of my own flair to it. And if a bunch of people are interested, or are at least pretending to be interested in that, then that's fine with me.

Yeah. Definitely worth the $30.

No comments: