Monday, June 15, 2009

Flash fiction!

I don't know exactly why, but I'm totally hooked on the whole "flash fiction" genre. And I was just introduced to it today in my English class.

For those of you unfamiliar with what flash fiction is exactly, it's basically an extremely short piece of fiction. To be more specific, the "standard, generally-accepted length of a flash fiction piece is 1000 words or less", as stated in the entry about flash fiction that I just read on Wikipedia.

And, for the record, I trust Wikipedia on everything, whether it's a valid academic resource or not. Whatever.

But anyway, back to what I was originally blogging about. I love flash fiction.

Now, you might be thinking that I love it because it's short and easy to read. Au contraire. It's actually more complex, in my opinion, because, given the short length of flash fiction, the stories often lack many explicit details. And that leaves the stories open to much more interpretation on the reader's part.

But that's actually why I love it. I love reading stories where I have to rely on my own interpretation. For example, here's one of my favorite flash fiction pieces, which is credited to Ernest Hemingway:

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

That's the whole story. Think about it.

Flash fiction is pretty fly, right?

No comments: